It’s that day of the week again…
Feared by some and glorified by others…
It can be simple and sweet or daunting and dreaded…
Some people put it off until the last minute while others make a day of it while drinking wine and dancing around their kitchen...
Yep, you may have guessed it... it’s MEAL PREP DAY!
We are Dominique and Erik Myers (aka Maui Fit Couple) and with this #FoodPrepWithMe we want to show you step-by-step how to prep for success with your nutrition…and have fun doing it!
We’re going to give you the tips and tricks that we use for ourselves and suggest to our clients as well as a grocery list and lots of ideas so you can create your own simple, sustainable meal prep process.
What are we waiting for? Let’s dive in!
Whether you’re buying in bulk at Costco, geeking out at Trader Joe’s, or even getting your groceries delivered from Amazon, there are a few important things to keep in mind even before you start your grocery shopping…
- ALWAYS have a plan of action. Bring a shopping list with you so you know exactly what you’re getting and don’t have to wing it once you arrive. (See our example below)
- NEVER go grocery shopping hungry. Have you ever done this? By the end of it you’re the proud owner of aisle 14 and find yourself with way more than you actually need.
- While writing your grocery list, stay focused on whole foods. We’ll show you exactly how to prep those foods soon.
Now that your shopping has begun, have some fun! Goof around with your friend or partner (if they tagged along) or plug in an earbud and listen to your favorite podcast or playlist.
There are a few things we like to keep in mind while in the grocery store:
- Generally speaking, most stores keep their whole foods along the outside edges of the store while keeping the processed foods (those tempting treats) in the middle aisles. Do your best to spend the majority of your time along the outside edges.
- Buy in bulk (if possible) for the foods you’ll be eating the most throughout the week. If you’re worried about getting too much, you can always freeze the extras.
- Have a budget to avoid buying foods that you don’t really need and keep your bank account as healthy as your body.
Here’s an example of a grocery list that we use and suggest to our clients as well:
(Remember, your list will need to reflect your meal plan and dietary needs)
- Ground Turkey
- Egg Whites
- Protein powder
- Protein bars
- Bok choy
- Frozen blueberries
- KNOW Better Cookie (available at KNOWFoods.com)
Now that you’ve got what you need it’s time to go home and cook ‘em up!
Prepping your food is a lot easier than most people think…
There are two strategies for prepping:
- Prep main foods in bulk: this way you can pick and choose for your meals throughout the week (or every 3 or 4 days) and the food is readily available.
- Prep each individual meal: some people go even further and actually put together each meal you’re going to eat for the next few days or the week.
Honestly, it doesn’t matter which approach you take as long as it fits YOUR lifestyle.
Now, here are a few things to keep in mind with your meal prep:
- Figure out your schedule to find out what works best for you. You can either prep food for the entire week or prep for 3-4 days.
- Decide which day(s) of the week you’re going to prep and block out the appropriate amount of time to cook up the food.
- Keep your snacks simple. Make sure you have little snacks with you throughout the day to avoid buying unhealthy treats on the go. (Our go-to is the snack size KNOW cookie because it satisfies our sweet tooth while keeping us on track)
So...what foods should you prep?
We recommend preparing the foods (in bulk) that would take considerable time out of your day throughout the week.
Typically it’s going to be your main protein and grain sources, but it can also be those snacks and anything else that will make your week easier.
For us and our clients, that includes:
- Ground turkey
- Sweet potatoes
- Snacks (try the KNOW Better Cookie when you're on-the-go)
Of course, your food preferences may be different but you get the idea here!
Time To Put It To Work!
Now that you’ve got what you need, it’s time to implement.
Remember that none of us are perfect…
We all have weeks that get out of control and we forget to prep our food…
And that’s okay.
Forgive yourself and get right back on track as soon as possible.
You’re transforming your life to become the healthiest, happiest version of yourself, so have some fun with it!
If you have any questions, feel free to send us a message on Instagram @mauifitcouple and we can chat more.
Happy Meal Prepping!
Dom & Erik